A couple of weeks ago, I was having dinner at my friend’s house. She is one of my oldest friends in the US and one of my best friends.
As we were eating dinner, her dad was asking me questions about Islam and what not. The issue of hijab and marriage came up. I was explaining to them how the traditional way to get married happens. As in, the mother and sister come to the house, see the girl and then report back to the potential groom. After that, he comes…they talk..etc, etc, etc. Her dad asked: “How does he decide? He can’t really see you.” I replied with: “It’s more than just looks that he is basing his decision on.”
This got me thinking. What is beauty? How do we define it? Who has it? Why does it matter? What is considered beautiful?
So, I googled.
This is how beauty is defined in the dictionary:
1. the quality present in a thing or person that gives intense pleasure or deep satisfaction to the mind, whether arising from sensory manifestations (as shape, color, sound, etc.), a meaningful design or pattern, or something else (as a personality in which high spiritual qualities are manifest).
2. a beautiful person, especially a woman. (Why does it have to “especially” be a woman?)
3. a beautiful thing, as a work of art or a building.
4. Often, beauties. something that is beautiful in nature or in some natural or artificial environment.
5. an individually pleasing or beautiful quality; grace; charm: a vivid blue area that is the one real beauty of the painting.
Beauty is a lot of things, and it’s not skin deep or how much skin is exposed…it’s more than that. I just hope that people see that I didn’t forsake my beauty for hijab.
I choose to show it in a different way.
What is your idea of beauty?